Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

newengr

Chemical
Mar 21, 2002
US
I was looking at a motor spec sheet and noticed Phase 3 as one of the specs? What is phase? Also, I noticed that for the voltage they had 230/460V? Why is there two? Also, when it says 60 Hz, what does that mean (cycle)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me, as a "dumb" mechanical engineer, try to answer these electrical questions.

Phase 3 probablly means 3 phase motor (3 phase AC system invented by Tesla more than a century ago, Edison wanted to kill him because of that and his beloved DC).

Two voltages, that is the trickiest part for me, have something to do with the way how electrical motor coils are connected with electrical power supply. There are "star" and "delta" (triangle) connections and in one case voltage is 230V and i the other is doubled. Or maybe I am wrong.

60Hz (meanining cycles per second) is the standard frequency of North American AC (European is 50Hz). In other words the N.A. AC goes back and forth 60 times per second while the Eu. AC does it only 50 times.

But the best thing is to post your question on the Electrical forum, those experts know much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back