Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Punching holes into moving parts down a roll form and die line

Status
Not open for further replies.

tegefe

Industrial
Sep 26, 2002
US
I have a roll formed process in which 16 gauge HRS, with Rockwell B 60-70 is pulled through series of roll formers and flying dies.  The part is formed into a square and needs to be supported from within to prevent deformation if punched after forming. There are two in-line locations in which I can put a die to punch a hole. I want to punch a hole through the welded metal while the material is moving.  There are holes on the top of the formed part in which I can gag the material for positioning and clamping and at that time I would like to insert a hole from underneath the part at a predetermined location. What would be the best process (laser, dies, etc) to use to insert the hole accurately into the part without deforming the part from its finished form?  Tolerances are +/- 0.15 before hole location.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One hole per part.
Hole size is .500+/- 0.10 X 0.312 =/- 0.005 Positionally =/- 0.015 centered on a welded seam.
Different part sizes are ranging from 16" to 86" in length.
Line speed is @ 25 fpm.

Thanks.

The nice thing about using a die is that it can keep up with faster line speeds. The disadvantages are that if you want to change hole size, die must change. Also it is contacting the material and can deform it and the die dulls.

Laser is non-contact and you can also cut on the fly. This would be what us motion geeks refer to as a flying-shear (or in this case, flying laser). I have seen this done. Advantage: Easily change hole size & locations. Disadvantages: Cost of laser, speed (but not in your case). Accuracy should not be a problem as long as you have the proper mechanics.

Cameron Anderson - Sales & Applications Engineer
Aerotech, Inc. -
"Dedicated to the Science of Motion"

Well, I'd like to thank you all for the quick and helpful responses.
I have basically decided that for our operation flying laser or flying plasma technology is the more appropriate route.
Can anyone weigh in on the Advantages/ Disadvantages for using either technology in the manner in which I have stated above.
Also, if you have had a particular good experience with a supplier or integrator of either technology could you provide a reference.

Email me, cameron.anderson@aerotech.com and let me know your company name and location. I will then find out if there is a Laser Integrator in your area that we work with. I work with many in the Twin Cities area here in MN and the others that I work with have theirs in their area.

I do not do anything with Plasma that I know of. I work w/ Laser the most probably because my controllers offer full CNC and I can directly control the laser (and have the mechanics as well).

Cameron Anderson - Sales & Applications Engineer
Aerotech, Inc. -
"Dedicated to the Science of Motion"

Tegefe:

you may want to try an electromagnetic press.
Basically it acts like a very large solenoid i.e builds up energy, stores it and then releases it in a matter of microseconds. The principle behind this is that the tool is moving so fast that the part does not have time to deform. Similar to the idea of shooting a bullet through glass without the glass shattering or breaking. A nice clean hole is left in the glass, but the glass is still intact.

Let me know if this is of interest to you and I can put you in touch with the appropriate people to discuss this technology

Geomar the high pressure water jet cuts to deep. The part is tubular with an open middle. The hole only needs to be cut on one side. Two last problems the side has to be cut on the bottom plan and has to be cut within 3 seconds.

Cdykster, I do believe there is potential in the electromagnetic press and I would like for you to put me in contact with appropriate people to discuss the technology.

My email is terry_freeman@hermanmiller.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back