Punching Shear in Isolated footing with moment in kips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buleeek

Structural
Sep 5, 2017
PL
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to compare my hand calculations for punching shear (with Moment and Force) with computer program and the result is a little off. I would like to make sure I use the right values. See below:

The maximum shear stress for both moment and force is given as: vu = Vu/(bo*d) + gamma.v * Mu * y / Jc
My question is, what should I multiply that formula ("vu") to receive the value in force (kips)? When I multiply "vu" by (d*bo) I get slightly different result. Should the part of the formula with moment be multiplied by something different than "d*bo"?
Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Buleeek said:
Should the part of the formula with moment be multiplied by something different than "d*bo"?

Yes, that's right. I don't think that it's possible to reduce this to just a "kips" answer. Rather, it will need to be a answer of the form [P x e = Axial Load x effective load eccentricity]. Unless I'm missunderstaning your question, that sounds like it would be just [P = Vu; e = Mu/Pu].

The subject formula for punching stress has two components . The punching shear stress vu, is the summation of two components: 1) direct shear stress, and 2) shear stresses due to unbalanced moments transferred from the slab to the column.

- If you multiply ( vu ) with (bo*d) , you will obtain equivalent nominal load ( Vu , without moment effect ) which produces the punching stress ( vu ) ..

- If you multiply ( vu ) with ( Jc/ gamma.v * y ), you will get nominal unbalanced moment without axial load effect ,which produces the punching stress ( vu ) ....

Note= You can add apples with pears but you must change the units , say no. of fruits...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back