Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Purchase specification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFRs

Petroleum
Nov 22, 2002
US
WOuld anyone out there have a purchase specification for SS304L? Something with requirements on Material Manufacture, Chemical Requirements, Mechanical Requirements, Permissible Variations in Dimensions, Visual Inspection and Repair, Surface Preparation, etc?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IFRs-- Id send you ours but thats not allowed by my company.

Here's what I do. I go throught he different things I need to spec... Starting with chemistry.. Find SAEJ405, then you cna follow with other different specs to fit your application and remembering that anything outside of the ordinary for industry norms is going to cost you.

Try calling your suppliers and what they usually see for tolerances. I dont know what the various ASTM spec's are for stainless.

At the end of collecting the data I build a single page word document that starts with a summary then continues into details. the summary generally looks like this:

EXAMPLE
Code:
304L to SAEJ405, .020(+/-.002)x2.325(+/-.005)xcoil, #4temper, slit edge(#3?), (Idontknow surface designation), Max coil 2000lbs, HRb50max, etc...

I also am a firm believer in getting A2LA or other certified test reports with each mastercoil. (or whatever the smallest lotsize that could be considered inconsistant.)

Of course, if this is for some special application you need to look in special places.
In general the SAE J specs are only used for transportation applications.
The AMS specs are used for aircraft.
The ASME are used for pressure, power and chemical equipment.
and so on

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion, every where, all the time.
Manage it or it will manage you.

To add to Edstainless comments. ASTM A240 is the standard specification for stainless steel plate,sheet, and strip. ASTM A480 would provide the tolerance information for flatness, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back