Status
Not open for further replies.

YuJie_PV

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2017
CN
hi fellow engineers,
i have a question:
is it mandatory for the head used in a vessel constructed per ASME VIII-1 vessel with U stamp, to be purchased from a certificate holder of part manufacturer?
and which clause in viii-1 talks about it?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UG-11(a) deals with prefabricated or preformed pressure parts for pressure vessels that are subject to stresses due to pressure and that are furnished by others, those pressure parts shall conform to all applicable requirements of ASME VIII-1. You shall taking into account UG-11, UG-32 (and Appendix 1) and UG-79.

UG-11(b) deals with Cast, Forged, Rolled, or Die Formed Non-standard Pressure Parts. Pressure parts such as heads that are wholly formed by die-forming may be supplied basically as materials, such parts shall be made of materials permitted under ASME VIII-1, the part manufacturer shall furnish identification in accordance with UG-93.

Heads shall be marked with the name or trademark of the parts manufacturer and with such other markings as will serve to identify the particular parts with accompanying material identification.
The Manufacturer of the completed vessel shall be satisfied that the part is suitable for the design conditions of the completed vessel.

thank idan,
i have read the paragraph of the code.i just don't understand them.
to be specific, if i want to buy the welded heads from a head manufacturer, shall the head manufacturer own a asme certificate?

thanks Idan,
respectfully disagree.
UG-11(c)(5)reads:" Standard pressure parts as identified in UG-11(c)
do not require inspection, identification in accordance
with UG-93(a) or UG-93(b), or Partial Data Reports, provided
the requirements of UG-11(c) are met.
"
while UG-11(c)includes welded parts.
so it conflicts with our statement. is there any misunderstanding with me?

UG-11(c)(1) says "These are pressure parts that comply with an ASME product standard accepted by reference in UG-44." None of the standards in UG-44 cover welded heads. Thus UG-11(c) is not applicable to your head.

Also, UG-11(a) says "The rules of (b), (c), (d), and (e) below shall not be applied to welded shells or heads or ..."

Your welded head manufacturer must be ASME registered, and supply you with all the required paperwork as noted by IdanPV above.

thanks IDan and Geoff.
i am not confused anymore, thanks for your clarification.
Just Idan mentioned Partial nameplate. we have never required a nameplate when purchasing a welded head, is it mandatory? where is it mentioned in ASME VIII-1?
thanks for your help.

A partial nameplate is mentioned in UG-11(a).

Details are for partial name plates are addressed in UG-116(h) and partial data reports are in UG-120(c).

You don't have to require a nameplate. It is required by the Code, and if you are using an ASME certified manufacturer they would supply it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back