Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Push-over Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotlboys

Civil/Environmental
May 31, 2015
TL
Dear friends,

I am just starting my study in structural engineering and feel interested to learn about push-over analysis.
I will be very helpful if there could be a sample analysis calculations just for proper guidance.

Regards,
Gotl

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are just starting, then, pushover analysis may be a bit beyond you. There are several books that go into this; my old reference books by Maissonette and Save and Baker are 50 years old, but, just as valid today. Pushover and shakedown analysis are the same...

It's a consequence of loading a system into the plastic region and the residual stresses left when unloaded can cause a premature failure of the system with a different loading pattern.

When I mentioned that it may be a bit beyond you, I wasn't trying to discourage you. There are a lot of engineers in this forum that don't use plastic design for steel or concrete. Designing based on collapse mechanisms is not everyone's cuppa... Best you get a grasp on regular structural engineering, first. I've been using plastic design, off and on depending on the project, for over 45 years and I think it's great.

Dik

Dik, thank you so much for the presentation. This is what I have felt too that push-over is a bit advance compared to other linear methods. I am currently doing structural dynamics and earthquake engineering, which I have learned about Response Spectrum. Our prof did include a push-over curve and discussed it but, unfortunately, did not give any example. I have seen some references such as ATC-40, FEMA but their examples seem hard to be understood by newbie. I would love to dig into push-over in my research paper unit next semester.

Again, I appropriate your help and am inspired to hear that you have used it for that long.

Seismic stuff and pushover is a real item... since with seismic loading you easily get stress reversals and residual stresses are a 'real' concern. I started with plastic design as a junior, but, quickly adopted it. Early in my engineering work, I did a large warehouse for one of my profs and during the discussion he suggested using plastic design... haven't looked back... Only one minor concern... did a 2 story building and was a bit concerned when I could 'feel' the construction equipment working below... When everything was done... the exterior cladding and internal partitions stiffened the building.

Like many things, once you have an initial understanding things fall quickly in place.

Dik

Hi Dik,

To what height is the applicability of Push-over method?
It seems that it is limited to certain height and geometry.

Gotlboy

As determined by the stability of the structure... once a structure becomes unstable then 'plastic design' is no longer viable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back