Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pushing clutch help

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrunner13

Civil/Environmental
Mar 20, 2013
MX
Hello, I am a civil engineer and I have several threads posted in the geotechnical forum, so I am not an automotive engineer or know anything about the subject, but I have a problem and I thought somebody in this forum could suggest something useful to solve it.

I have a 2002 Dodge Stratus with manual transmission. The clutch pedal has become harder to push and I have a mild injury in my left leg, from my knee to my foot. I don't want to force my leg and sometimes it takes a lot of work to push it. In a traffic jam it becomes too tiresome. So:

1.- Selling the car is not an option; it is like new and too useful.
2.- I replaced the clutch about five years ago; it improved a little.
3.- The solutions I've found on the internet (Duck clutch, handicapped adaptations etc.) are more expensive than the value of the car [lol]. Nothing that expensive is an option.
4.- I may try to use a cane so I help to push the pedal with both my arm and leg. Still have to try or design it.
5.- I also replaced the clutch cable a few years ago. AC Delco brand. I was wondering if a special cable, a more elastic one, exist.

So if anyone knows a practical, affordable solution to make the pedal easier to push, I would be greatful to read it.

"There is nothing in the desert, and no man needs nothing."
CEDEX Madrid graduate.
Private construction materials lab

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Improve the leverage. I have no idea of the technical details of that car, but conceptually, whatever is most practical of:
- Move the pedal pivot point down (closer to where the clutch master cylinder attaches).
- Move the master cylinder attachment point up (closer to the pedal pivot pin).
- Find a different clutch master cylinder that has a smaller diameter piston; the challenge will be finding one that's close enough in general design to be able to fit.
- Find a different slave cylinder that has a bigger piston.
- Soften the return spring.

I am puzzled - there doesn't seem to be a clutch cable, so it's not clear what was replaced.

For a given clutch a certain amount of work is required. Make it easier to push and the push gets proportionately larger.

The most likely item is finding a clutch with less pressure so the work (force times distance) is less, but that puts it closer to slipping.

I suppose a pneumatic cylinder could be used to assist, but you need a compressor and some valves; the effort is ensuring it always operates safely, neither releasing or preventing the release of the pedal unexpectedly. The ideal would be more like a vacuum operated brake booster.

Put an automatic trans in it if you're that determined to keep the car. It's old enough that there is likely a fully hydraulic auto that will fit. And I can't imagine the trans for a 2002 dodge costing very much.

I would look into making the pedal longer if possible, to increase the travel of the pedal. Or, arrange the pedal such that it swings through a greater angle.

It is possible that it's the peak force which is tiring, not the work.

Performing the same work, but over a greater distance may be less tiring to the human body.

Also, if the friction point is high up in the travel, then maybe you're performing needless work to disengage the clutch beyond the disengaged point.

Have you looked into clutch assist springs? Or a pedal extender? I don't know if these would solve the problem completely, but they're a cost-effective option. I know you said you've had the clutch replaced 5 years ago, but it sounds like it might need more regular maintenance. General wear and tear can sometimes be the sole cause of sticky/hard clutches. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back