Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Puzzling delimma

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallison2010

Electrical
Jun 9, 2010
US
I am trying to prove a hypothesis. I have a neodymium magnet(6Lbs of pull force) mounted to a rod, magnetized axially, south end outward(facing away from the rod mount). This "pushrod" device slides through a tube toward a fixed-mounted electomagnet(specifications to be determined). This is part of a 1/5 scale replica of a steam locomotive, and will be explained in the following theory statement.

Here is the theory:

If the pushrod (which is mounted to the wheel of the loco), is pushed into the guide tube and comes to top dead center, and this electromagnet is activated (same pole N-N, or S-S), the repulsion force will drive the "piston" to bottom dead center with enough force to cause torque, movement, and complete the rotational cycle.

Now the reason for asking. I am not extremely fluent in electronics, or electromagnetism principles, and that being said I would like to know how would I go about getting the above sequence of events to happen at a controlled RPM?

Specifically:

1)What electromagnet design will work with enough force if supplied with 12VDC/20A, using 22AWG ceramic-coated wire, confined to the physical dimensions of .625" O.D.(on the side facing the "piston" magnet) X (length TBD). This will be a rapid cycling electromagnet, and longevity is a factor.

2)Since this is going to be a continuous use type situation, heat buildup needs to be addressed.

I know this is a very bizarre question to be asking, but I have simply exhausted my limited knowledge here, and need to reach out to someone who may be able to help provide direction, and be kind enough to "blue-collar"-it for me. It's difficult to really explain what I need, but I hope someone can decipher my cryptic query.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes this will work. The 12vdc, 20A, is about 1/3 hp. Should be plenty even if you are only 25% efficient. As to controlling it. I would put a pot on the supply to very the voltage and use a normal open reed switch to sense the magnet. Once the magnet gets to top dead center, it actuates the reed switch, allowing the current to flow. The motor will accelerate to some max rpm. If you raise and lower the voltage the rpm will change.

This will get hot. Imagine a 240 watt light bulb. You need to heat sink it with aluminum and a fan.

You appear to be wanting to simulate the steam piston drive with an electromechanical "piston."

the unanswered questions:
> What drive requirements are there, i.e., how power do you actually need? While a 1/3 hp engine might just barely be adequate to move just the locomotive itself, passengers and additional cars might be too much. A VW Bug has a 40-50 hp engine

> Are you going to overpower the drive wheels? Since you don't have the weight of the boiler(s), metal drive wheels might slip on the track, and you may need rubber drive wheels.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

MagMike: As nice of a fantasy as "free energy" is, and after many years of trial and research on my end(admittedly), I have come to the sound conclusion that IF it were possible, I have not developed the correct combination to prove it. I have tried many perm mag and perm mag/electromag combinations to attain a bastardized version of it, but still unsuccessful to date.

RPreble: That was what I was thinking, but needed another person's opinion. As for the heat, I am leaning towards an encapsulated sealed water jacket around the electromag.

IRstuff: An electromechanical piston is exactly what I am trying to do here. The loco itself will weigh in at 47lbs, and the wheels are in fact rubber coated for that very reason! It wasn't always that way, but trial and error has precepted necessity :)

Here is another argument I am debating with a collegue:
Having a cylinder-shaped core in an electromagnet attains an even electron flow directionally trough the length of the rod (common electromag 101), but what if the shape of the core were more conical (like the shape of the Apollo lunar capsule, of sorts), and the coil direction started on the wider end, flowing to the narrower end? As the coil spiral decreased in diameter, would the electron flow(and therefore the magnetism) get more dense and create a more compacted field on that end, i.e.- a stronger magnetic field?
I haven't tried this yet to win or lose the debate, but just thought I'd throw that out there for any educated opinions.

Thanks again.

Search for colenoid, it was a high strength, high speed conical solenoid design that Lucas worked on. I believe it even ended up in a Delphi electronic unit injector.

Check this out. .
[ponder]

[link ]
btn_liprofile_blue_80x15.gif" width="80" height="15" border="0" alt="View Clyde's profile on LinkedIn
[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back