Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PVC pipe in Industrial/Warehouse Type Buildings? (ASTM E84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_187

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2018
US
Hello,

There is a warehouse/industrial type building. The building ventilation is done by exhaust fans and louvers. Typical with return air systems, PVC pipe would not be ideal (because it is not plenum ASTM E84 fire and smoke rated, unless it is fire wrapped). I am pretty sure that industrial buildings like this would not qualify as a return air system, as all air is exhaust not returned.

However, just wanted to run it by other people. Is there any concern with located PVC pipe (not plenum rated pipe), in an industrial/warehouse building like this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Using PVC in an air handling system is bad Engineering.
Read below:

The vapors from almost all plastics are bad to inhale. Some are very bad such as PVC. It generates a toxic gas when it is burnt or strongly heated and it can gives you more than a headache. When produced, it releases dioxins, a group of synthetic chemicals which can cause cancer and harm immune and reproductive system.

Thanks for the reply.

I know that PVC, when burned, creates a toxic gas. However, it only appears to be banned from being installed in return air systems. This building should not have a return air system, as it is only exhaust fans and intake louvers. So air is only being exhausted from the space, not recirculated. Does this change your answer?

Are you talking about an open industrial space with no ceiling and exposed ductwork hanging from the roof deck? So the entire room is a "plenum"? If so, you probably have PVC roof drains already in the space. The room is not considered to be a return plenum subject to plenum-rated materials. I am not sure if that answers your question. What are you trying to run in PVC?

BronYrAur, this is exactly my point. The entire space is an open "plenum" and there are not return air systems. It turns out they are supply fans not exhaust. But relieved by louvers.

Then the rules of plenum should not apply since your entire room would have to be considered a plenum. I'm sure you would have all kinds of electrical code violations if the entire room or plenum rated. You might need to check with the local code to make sure but I certainly would not consider the room to be a plenum.

IMC Chapter 3 Plenum definition - "An enclosed portion of the building structure, other than an occupiable space being conditioned, that is designed to allow air movement, and thereby serve as part of an air distribution system."

PVC oozes plasticizer vapor. Take a look at new cars in which PVC lined dashboard are (or were) installed after a few months of driving these vehicles, a plasticizer film develops on the inside of the windshield and after a period of time cracks become visible on the dashboards. Japanese cars used to be notorious for such event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back