Pvc Pipe Local Buckling due Internal Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulloap

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2007
CR
Hi Gents,
I’m machinery designer for the PVC pipe Industry, at the very beginning of this year I designed and built a Machinery to test PVC pressure pipe according to AWWAC900/05 and (or) FM Standards.
My customer is request me, and special test called Burst -the pressure rate depends on the wall thickness of the material-.
The pipe I’m testing is 4,8” Outer Diam, 0,266” wall thickness @ 20 ft long, so I need to pressurize it up to 750psi in no more than 60 sec. The pipe never pass the test, instead it buckles itself, as you see in the pictures below.
My goal is to try to simulate this buckling effect tru FEA -Abaqus- and see if my machine is over clamping the pipe. When I start design the machine I did hand calculations to find how much internal pressure do I need to buckle it the pipe -Euler column effect- to whistand those reactions by my clamping mechanism.
I don’t exactly how to tackle this problem tru Abaqus – e.g. how to add imperfections, if I need to take contact into account and so on-
Can you gents tell what procedure you can use to simulate this kind of problem?

Best Regards
LPUS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open the Keyword Reference Manual and look for *Imperfection and *Buckle. Then follow the links into the Users Manual.

Search also for "imperfection" in the Example Problems Manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back