Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PWHT and Welding Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalaith

Petroleum
May 11, 2001
According to B31.1 (para. 132) you do not have to PWHT P5A (2.25 Chrome) material if it is 4" in diameter or less, 1/2" thick or less and has .15% carbon or less.

We are having a debate as to whether this exemption allows you to weld the material with a procedure that has been qualified with PWHT, or do you have to have a procedure qualified without PWHT.

I believe that since PWHT is an essential variable you will have to have a procedure that has been qualified without PWHT.

I would appreciate knowing how everyone here interprets this section of the code.

Thank you,
Lalaith

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The following clause in ASME 9 is essential for all welding processes.

QW 407.1
A separate procedure qualification is required for each of the following conditions.
(a) For P-No. 1, P-No. 3, P-No. 4, P-No. 5, P-No. 6, P-No. 9, P-No. 10, and P-No. 11 materials, the following postweld heat treatment conditions apply:

(1) No PWHT;
(2) PWHT below the lower transformation temperature;
(3) PWHT above the upper transformation temperature (e.g., normalizing);
(4) PWHT above the upper transformation temperature followed by heat treatment below the lower transformation temperature (e.g., normalizing or quenching followed by tempering);
(5) PWHT between the upper and lower transformation temperatures.

(b) For all other materials, the following postweld heat treatment conditions apply:
(1) No PWHT;
(2) PWHT within a specified temperature range.[A99]

Hope this answers your question. For more information on ASME 9 and other welding topics

does ASME B31.1 require radiograph inspection of every weld or does it require some percentage radiograph inspection? I believe it is 100% inspection but am not sure, can someone verify and quote the appropriate section to me, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back