Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PWHT- ASME B31.3 2014 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispengg

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2011
AE
Greetings,

I was going through the 2014 version of ASME B31.3. Major changes have been made, especially in Para.330- Preheat & 331-Heat treatment. I want to get clarified on the following:

1. What is the rationale behind setting 600 deg F/hour [divided by 1.5 times the thickness in inches] as heating and cooling rate. Is it from distortion point of view?. For example, UCS-56, ASME Sec VII Div 1 has set 400 deg F/hour divided by thickness in inches.[I accept, that is for pressure vessel even then]

2. How the extended holding time is calculated for Alternate post weld heat treatment? I just checked the time temperature combination using LMP parameter [since it is based on Jaffe-hollomon tempering parameter].If it is based on time temperature parameter, then it should yield same parameter value for all the combination, but it is not [see the attachment]. Am I missing something??

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=51f4765c-fe2f-4291-a36f-453fb87302ca&file=LMP.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back