Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PWHT Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

metboss

Petroleum
Sep 12, 2012
AE
Hi All,

Please note that during PWHT (after cladding on Valve bore) monitoring process, it was observed that temperature was exceeded the required value i.e. Reqd. 600̊C whereas observed 780̊C. The soaking period was 4 Hrs.
This discrepancy is mainly due to faulty control instrument and negligence of technician. Eventually, valve body was tested for hardness and found to be (150-160 BHN) less than the minimum hardness value i.e. 197 BHN (contract specs).

Details: The reference standard - API 6A, Material- AISI 4130 with internal bore cladding with Inco 625 overlay.

Is there any additional mechanical testing required? Can we reject the valve? Can we go for an additional heat treatment to obtain required hardness (min 197 BHN)?

I would like to have your advice on way forward.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you all for your feedback.
Is there any code reference for such rejections. Our management may ask for justification.
As per latest updatws, our vendor is now proposing to carry out some mechanical test (tensile, charpy) on some sub-components of Valve. These sub-components are blind flange and exit adapters. But, same material grade AISI 4130 and received the same heat treatmwnt of main valve body (under same batch). Even if test is passed for these sacrificial sub-components, i have no clue how they will correlate results with main valve body. In fact, main valve body will not be mechanically tested.

Kindly advise.

It fails, reject it. You don't know what the structure is or what the real properties are.
What was the original HT condition?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Yes, this part has no hope. You undid the Q&T by going that hot.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back