Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Q: Relief Valve, stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngCutie

Petroleum
Nov 10, 2009
GB
Hello,
My understanding is: ’U’ stamping for approved pressure vessels. ‘UV’ stamping for relief valves designed in accordance with ASME VIII code. Am I wrong?

Lately I have been asked to purchase relief valves with ‘U’ stamp by my colleagues. Is it possible?

One more question:
If clients don’t mention whether they want relief valves to be stamped or not, but require the valves to satisfy ASME code, is it ok to purchase relief valves (meet ASME requirements) without the stamp?
Thank you for your help.

Cutie

Thank you, EngTips

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Regarding the stamp, I am only aware of the 'UV' stamp requirement on safety relief valves, however, when customers want you to quote/supply a pressure vessel 'U' stamped, they only tend to mention the vessel requirement...assuming that you will supply safety relief valve according to requirements....'UV' stamped.
Regarding the customer requirements for compliance to ASME code, but do not mention stamping requirements, this is fairly common, BUT make sure your write this clearly in technical description of quotation, as once bought without stamp, it is very expensive (if at-all possible)to have the vessels & related equipment certified and stamped afterwards.
I have been through this & my customer had to re-purchase two tanks at around 4 times the price a non stamped tank cost...fortunatelly, I had described "according to ASME, unstamped" in technical description.
Ciao,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back