Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QH diagram of an evaporator pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdolph

Chemical
Oct 16, 2012
CL
Hi Everyone

I want to estimate the operating point of a series o pumps.}
I have a drawing attached in a excel format in the next link
There are two pumps of my interest right now (Pump 1 & Pump 2)

How I should focus the analysis of the system curve for the circuit of the pump 1.
Should I analyze the circuit from the point A to the point 1 or from the point A to the point D.
If I choose the second case (from point A to the point D) how is affected the pump curve in the 1-D section. How can this be represented on a Q H diagram.

I know how the parallel pumps QH diagram are representated, but in this cases there are two pumps that suctions from different sources and then act like a parallel system.

I will appreciate your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you've simplified this, but maybe too much as it is not possible to see where the pump 1 feed supply actually goes to. You also need to describe the process a bit more, e.g. does your control valve shown next to point 1 control on pressure or flow or both?what does the control valve at point C do? Where does the flow go to? Only then can we figure out what can be done.

Given you have a control valve at point 1, I think A to pt 1 is your key issue. At point 1 it is then at the same pressure as the discharge from pump 2 but has higher flow than A to 1, but maybe a bigger pipe also. Some flow clearly goes 2 to C which is equal to or less than A to 1?

You simply need to divide up the flow system into sections and join the dots where the junctions are where pressure has to be equal in the branches.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back