Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quadro FX3400 drivers, which one to pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steinmini

Civil/Environmental
Apr 27, 2010
RS
Recently bought the Quadro FX3400 GPU and had no luck with native Win7 64x drivers. Went to nVidia site and found the proper drivers, written by GPU manufacturer for their own hardware product. My guess was that these, if any, should be the best for the job. Now, it all works fine with SW, but for example, some unimportant features like animation in Chess that comes with Windows doesn't work. (the white is always on my side - if I want to play as black, have to play "backwards")
I checked on Solidworks site the drivers database and the SW site hosts drivers for Vista 64X but not for Win7 64x (that shouldn't matter) and now I'm puzzled what would happen if I try to install the older drivers for the older operating system? I know, the simplest answer is to try and see where it gets me but maybe someone already knows why I should or shouldn't do it. I learned long time ago that newer doesn't necessarily always stand for better...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll be fair and give an answer. Don't replace newer drivers with older ones. The bug with lack of animation in the Chess was my mistake, habit from the old days to set desktop appearance for "best performance"... Installing older drivers resulted in monitor drivers crash and windows was not capable of setting the display to work properly. Rollback, restart and now it's all as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back