Qualifying GTAW Fillet Weld on 6061-T6 Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

forallmyhomies

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2019
US
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out what testing is required by the AWS D1.2 (2014) code for qualifying a WPS for studs fillet welded to sheet using GTAW process.

In Clause 6, section 6.1.2, it states "aluminum studs may be applied by fillet welding using the GTAW process provided the following conditions are met: 6.1.2.1 The WPS used is qualified in conformance with Clause 3, Qualification of WPSs and Personnel."

We don't have an existing WPS, so we need to qualify a new one. And even if we did, how would that be translated to a stud application? The problem is that Clause 3 only distinguishes fillet welding for plate, pipe, and tubing, so I don't know exactly what I am supposed to be following in Clause 3 for my studs. Even the requirements for macro-etch in Clause 3 are distinguished as being for "plate and pipe."

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Ron. That's what I feared.

If I'm understanding Clause 3 correctly, a qualified pipe fillet weld WPS is not limited by pipe size as an essential variable. It seems odd to me that you can translate such a WPS across all pipe sizes, as penetration to or beyond the apex of the joint (without blowing through your part) will be vastly more difficult for a very small "pipe" (e.g. a 3/16" stud) than for a larger one. Anyway, I can't disagree-- I had the same interpretation initially. I think in a sense it doesn't add much value to the qualification in the stud application, given the distinct joint properties.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back