Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Quality control in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zogzog

Electrical
Mar 7, 2006
US
How does Japans 1E program compare to ours in the US? Seems there have been quite a few failures of equipment I would assume is safety related. Pressure relief valves, core pressure gauges, etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

zogzog,

It's hard to tell, though they model a lot of their safety programs after the US ones. My impression is that a lot of their problems are being caused by not having any electrical power.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

According to reports there is RV stuck closed and is causing the problems with #2 reaactor. The information I saw didn't give any description of the type of valve. Evidently there is problem manually controlling the pressure in the reactor and they were depending on this valve to control the pressure.

as I recall, about 5 yrs ago there was a temporary government imposed shutdown of nearly all japan nuclear reactors in order to evaluate the extent of the QC issues- a prior review had shown widespread fraud in QC documents . The review was following a series of publically reported incidents . Fortunately, japan has a relatively transparent process for regulating the industry.

It took about 1 yr to clear up the documentation issues .

In hindsight, what we are reaping now is apparently an incorrect strategy for plant configuration.

I am aquainted with quality in industry, not nukes.
W E Deming could not get American industry interested in quality (except AT &T) after WW II. Japenese industry, including top management welcomed his expertise; even setting up the "Deming Prize" for quality in Japan in 1950. See Deming in Wikipedia.
I worked in API pipe; Jap pipe was great, US pipe was crap (but better than Russian). In the late 80's American steel management started seeing the light (of quality). Things have changed a lot in the last 15 yr, but I bet Japanese products still have higher quality because of the wholeharted support from the top down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back