Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Quality Engineer in biomedical engineering 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy A

Bioengineer
Mar 27, 2018
US
Is it possible for a person with MS in bioengineering apply for quality engineering without any industrial experience? Are there specific courses that needs to be completed for this specific position?

My previous post got deleted but I don't know why. I had posted the question just to gain some clarity regarding some confusion that I have (as I mentioned in this post).Please let me know if I have not put my question correctly. I will try to ask in a specific way.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Of course it's possible for you to apply for any position you want.

Getting selected for an interview depends on how you present your experience and match it to the job requirements.

I imagine that your university has a placement center full of people trained to help students navigate the employment market, tune your resume and generally present yourself in the best possible way.

That type of support is not what eng-tips is good at.

Why not?
You probably already have a solid foundation in statistics. Should have, anyway.
Should have taken an Intro to Statistical Quality Control.
Six Sigma training can be obtained along the way.
American Society of Quality asq.org is a good place to start.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

MintJulep: Thank you for the advice.

pmover: I had gone through the link before that you sent me and looked into some other information as well. But still wanted to gain more information through this forum. Thank you for the response. From the project that I am doing in my masters, I can either apply for computational analyst or a researcher, but I am unsure if I would be qualified enough for these roles because of less research work. And I did ask about quality engineering because I feel like I am more interested in it than the other two. But I kind of feel like it might not be good as an entry level job (did few research: comments made by ex quality engineers) so I will not think about it for now.

tygerdawg: I have taken Introduction to Biostatistics. Thank you for the response.

Is there a big difference in hiring people based on someone doing project or thesis? Do people still get the job they like when they meet most of the requirements but not all?

Hiring is a combination of what you have learned, what you have done professionally, and to a lesser extent who you are. Appealing to the interviewer in all three areas is your best bet of being hired in a competitive market, in an uncompetitive one (most today) you may not have to appeal to any to get the job. It never hurts to apply, but unless you have quite a bit of coursework and/or experience in manufacturing or the trades then you are missing the first two.

Regarding projects or theses, something to recognize is that everybody does them and many list them on their resume. Unless unique or I needed a talking point, I don't believe I've ever even asked a candidate about nor given them a second thought. The larger area where you can distinguish yourself IME is to highlight the work done during internships, particularly if you've had more than one or held one for multiple years. A degree shows you can learn the material, experience in industry shows that you can actually apply that material to do the work.

Whether or not you need to meet "qualifications" is a bit of a grey area varying between companies and even individuals within a given company. I've given engineering titles to many with degrees in other fields who showed both willingness and ability to learn. I've also known many companies that wouldn't consider someone without every "basic" qualification expressly spelled out on a resume.

No one likes to lay people off, so even if we hire someone for a very specific, immediate, need, we, if we are doing things correctly, have to look beyond that immediate need to determine if that person is suitable for doing other jobs. The more generally applicable you appear, the more likely you will get hired, all else being equal.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Unpleasant reality:

No experience = no experience.

Regardless of level of education. Bachelors vs masters vs PhD. Project vs thesis. Does not matter.

A degree any type provides some evidence that you have the (possible) capability to be taught and function within an organized framework.

Entry level hiring hiring criteria: Can the candidate become an asset rather than a liability in an acceptably short time at an acceptable cost (training, mentoring etc.) with a low risk of failure.

I imagine that you find that harsh. Sorry.

Lucy A,
good responses to read and think about . . .
Tis the time for you to learn to become dependable, reliable, etc. Step out of your comfort zone can be intimidating, but think about how others accomplished their goals. Take the leap of faith and enjoy yourself; you will have fun. Your decision-making is no different than your first jump into the swimming pool. Get going, life won't wait for you.

good luck.

Thanks to all for the wonderful responses. I was a bit confused because of the "meeting the requirements" thing. I didn't find anything harsh so you didn't have to say sorry MintJulep. In fact, thank you so much and others too for helping and giving valuable suggestions and sharing your experiences that help people like me who is in confusion and not sure how to proceed on.

Getting job is one thing but to be able to get things done in the work environment is whole different thing. I am always open to learn new things and do my best so I am not worried about that part. I have noted important points from the responses above and I am happy that I posted my question :)

Thank you all!!

You may want to consider some additional training or classes in quality engineering related topics. Search for "quality engineer" jobs and note if they have any specific requirements/certifications, for example Six Sigma. Then look for online training/classes on these topics. This will help your resume stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back