Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quality SS MIM in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

wo3

Materials
Feb 3, 2007
IL
Hi All,

I am looking for a small SS component in large qtys.
Can I take China into consideration, how is the quality of Chinese MIM SS components? Any concerns?

Please let me have any ideas for good producers with affordable prices.

Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe. If you're referring to powder injection molding, what was Hawk Precision Components may have moved some of the machinery from Solon, Ohio to the Suzhou facility. They're called Netshape Technologies now. ( You'd have to call and ask. As they were purchased by a private equity firm, they may have started moving the technology over. Cypress Industries is another company that comes to mind. They're based out of Austin, Texas, but have plants and tool building facilities in Asia.

I can't speak to the quality. Depends on what you want. If it's medical type work and is both small and intricate, my perception is that the quality is better in the States. Depends on what your liability is I guess.

Thank you very much guys!!!

I am indeed looking for a small part for a medical application. Please let me know if you have another producer you can think of.

By all means, if you are looking for high quality medical components, stay away from the far east, they will burn you. In my experience, QUALITY in the far east is more of an accident then a target. For the best components, stay in the US. For the best price for small, high volume parts, do a search for machining vendors advertising Swiss Screw Machines. Very, very capable macines that can make very accurate and economical parts.

Sorry to be so rough on the asians, but I have been burned before and you can't ignore the issues that keep coming from there about quality.

For non-eastern sources (i.e. North America), Netshape is a vetted option. SSI Technologies (Wisconsin) specializes in SS components and does both conventional and MIM powdered metal work. They also have experience with the medical component market. There are a few more. Just do some searching on and you'll likely find what you need.

I would suggest finding a supplier that is not based in the far east, but does manufacturing there. The quoted cost of the part may be higher, but they'll already have the resources in place to ensure that you'll get the proper quality.

Dave Hyman
Mechanical Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back