Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Quantity of Jobs under 1 PE License 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyMars

Civil/Environmental
Aug 21, 2013
US
From a legal standpoint, is there any maximum number of jobs that a PE can have running concurrently? Also, is it acceptable to sign/seal a project in CA if you reside in NJ as long as you're licensed in CA? From an ethical standpoint as long as you are qualified to design the work and review the project details this would be okay but I don't know if it raises any red flags with state boards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no stated limit that I'm aware of; however, if a complaint were filed and you had a lot of projects going at one time, the board might question how you could be in responsible charge of all of them. I don't know what that threshold might be....only you as the engineer in responsible charge can determine if you meet that test for each and every project, concurrently.

As for signing/sealing a project that you design for construction or implementation in another state.....it's done all the time. Unless you have a contractual obligation to visit the site or if you have some special design that requires your presence on site, you have no obligation to visit the site. Do you go to all the sites for your design in NJ?

Thanks Ron. That makes sense and falls in line with what I was thinking. I do visit most sites but if the job is small (concrete pads or something simple) then I'll let the foreman take care of the job and I review photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back