Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quenched and Tempered Steel from a Supplier? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalman8357

Materials
Oct 5, 2012
US
Hi all,

Is it common to purchase quenched and tempered material straight from a supplier or is this not possible? On matweb, I found a listing for AISI 1035 water quenched(1550⁰F) and tempered (1000⁰F), but I'm not sure if this is something that can be purchased, or if they are just listing the properties of 1035 with this specific heat treatment. We would like to purchase 1035 wire that is already quenched and tempered, but I'm just wondering if this is possible, and if there are suppliers that will do this.

Thanks,
M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

metalman8357-

Almost any supplier will be more than happy to provide whatever alloy in whatever heat treat condition you desire. All you have to do is ask for it. All the requirements for your desired material as-delivered should be explicitly defined on your purchase order. Don't leave anything open to interpretation, otherwise your vendor may not deliver exactly what you had in mind. Make sure you specify the alloy, heat treatment, QA requirements, material dimensions and tolerances, surface finish, shipping and packaging requirements, process and certification documents required, etc.

In order to minimize cost, schedule, and to make things generally go as smoothly as possible, I'd also highly recommend working closely with your chosen vendor when preparing your purchase order. Whenever you have the option, it's a good idea to write your PO based on material and process specs preferred by the vendor. Before you submit the formal PO and/or purchase spec, you can even submit a preliminary copy and ask the vendor to review it. Time spent up-front working out details of your PO with your vendor is time well spent. When purchasing a quantity of special order material, the worst case scenario is having the vendor deliver a product that is not suitable for your needs, due to some mis-communication.

In short, you can purchase virtually any metal alloy, in any heat treat condition, in any shape or form you desire. You may not always like the cost, but you can usually find a supplier for it.

Good luck to you.
Terry

Geographic location and delivery time can also be part of the equation. Here in Houston, nearly any material in most heat treat conditions can be sourced with fairly reasonable deliveries. In other parts of the US and the world, this may not be the case. And as previously said, you may not like the price so much.

Thanks a lot for the input guys, super helpful. Is it fair to assume that ordering a coil of wire quenched and tempered from a supplier is going to be cheaper overall when compared to ordering unprocessed material from the same supplier and sending finished product (nails) to a third party heat treater? My intuition tells me that the former would be cheaper most of the time...

Many suppliers can manufacture according to your requirement and specification. In some standards such as AMS the condition of material is mentioned. When you are going to place order, try to use exact specification which indicated your desired mechanical properties, avoiding any further problems.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back