Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Query on analysis and design of curved structures with cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saruncivil

Structural
Oct 31, 2012
AE
Dear Engineers,

I’m looking for your help and guidance to do finish my job in perfect way and to shape my knowledge.
Please find the attached file and help me

Thanking you
Arun S

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) If you are clear about steel design, then you should be able to solve the problem if the cable is replaced with a solid steel tie of the exact length between supports, unstressed when the structure is unloaded. The problem with the cable is no different except the properties of the cable may be a little difficult to pin down. You must know the Young's Modulus of the cable and the area of the cable in order to solve.

2) Initial tension and unstressed length of cable can be whatever you want to make them. If the unstressed length is greater than the distance between supports, the cable will not start to feel tension until the arch deflects outward and the cable becomes taut.

3) You could start with an assigned cable tension when the structure is unloaded or loaded with partial dead load. Then, as the structure becomes loaded, the cable tension will increase. The amount can be calculated if you know the properties of the arch structure and the cable.

4) Bearing type will depend on the type of foundation selected. If the arch is deemed to be hinged at each support, the cable will not be tensioned under live load, so the supports are presumably free to deflect outward. As the arch deflects, the cable is stressed.

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back