Query on Plant Layout drawings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudhakarn

Automotive
Apr 1, 2013
IN
Hi folks,
I have a small query on creating Plant layout drawings in AutoCAD. I just wanted to know how to start and proceed big drawings( in metres) such as Plant Layouts.My doubt is on setting the drawing limits, Plot scale (for plotting the drawing on an A3 sheet),if the drawing is given with a scale of 1:30 ,should I use the scale command.how do I manage the annotations and dimensions sizes for such drawings in print?

Can you please detail me on proceeding for such a drawing from scratch to Print?

Thanks in Advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Drawing extents/limits isn't something I worry about too much... I normally include property boundary. I use a standard set of drawing layers... similar to the AIA, but, with a heavier emphasis on structural items. If you have a survey, then you can include it on a layer. I make sure that the surveyor provides AutoCAD compatible drawings of his survey with the data on it. I may have 2 or 3 survey layers, all with different text heights for different scales. This solves the problem of having different text heights for the survey information if used for different drawing scales. . I then establish a base point on plan. This can be an actual benchmark, a property stake, a building corner, or whatever (something that will not move), and establish all work locations relative to this. I will define a new building corners as an x, y, and z offset from this 'benchmark'. I then go ahead and start my new structure with a building outline on the plan and the actual building drawings off the plan area. I use paperspace to set things out for plotting. Real CAD people may do differently; I've never taken any formal CAD courses... strictly from Omura's Mastering AutoCAD from several decades back.

I don't know if there is a current edition, but, the book was fabulous and an incredible help.

Dik

Hi Dik,
Thanks a lot for your details.Highly appreciate your response.
But I just wanted to know how to start and proceed on a A0 size drawing in AUTOCAD?
What are the steps involved in it as it is a bigger size?

No difference... just use a bigger/smaller scale to suit... I have standard defpoint drawing sizes with 1/2" border... I put them on the model and increase them by the scale factor ... pretty quickly zero's in on the maximum scale you can use. A real CAD operator may have a better method than mine...

Dik

Was just thinking (an occasional occurrence) if you can use an A1 rather than an A0, you can shrink the drawing to an 11x17 size... I find the text on A0 to be too small when shrunk. it's a lot easier to work with in the field.

No one likes to work with large sheets.

Dik

Glad to help... I was hoping that some one more knowledge would 'jump in'... there may be more professional ways of dealing with this.

Dik

I learned AutoCAD by reading 'Inside AutoCAD' from front to back, and working _all_ of the examples.
That was when version 10 (for DOS) was current.
I have no idea what text might be most useful now, but I do suggest working through one such guide instead of wandering aimlessly.
At least search YouTube for answers to your questions.

General suggestions:
Don't worry about drawing limits.
Aside from a numeric range limited to something like 16 decimal digits, the universe within AutoCAD has no serious limits. ... or units, really.
You can draw in Angstroms or in light years, it makes no real difference.
But you must draw full size, i.e., 1 unit on the model screen is one of whatever unit you choose.
Using the UNITS command or dialog early can be helpful with strange units like feet and inches.
Draw in Model Space only.
Dimension and annotate in Paper Space, mostly.

It helps to have a prototype drawing file to start from, hopefully something that's in the units you want, with a useful layer arrangement, and of an object about the overall size of what you want. Copy the file, or open and save under a different name, erase everything you don't need, and go. You can eventually make your own, but it's easier to start with one from someone who knows the software. There is a risk if you get a prototype from someone who is self-taught and does everything 'wrong' but in an internally consistent way, you will have difficulty producing what _you_ want.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks Mike... pretty much the same boat... I forced myself to sit down and do a chapter a night until I had completed the book. Maybe the site's policies about only engineers may restrict the comment. I was hoping that a real CAD operator that had been formally trained might be able to offer more technical information.

Mike said:
But you must draw full size
Draw in Model Space only.
Dimension and annotate in Paper Space, mostly.

Missed those... and, drawing full size is critical and an essential habit to get into... A lot of my standard details are annotated with the drawing detail and scale factor of 16 and some with 12, but, often something else... I usually have my standard details in a defpoints 'box' with the dimscale, ltscale, text size, and last revision date outside the 'box'. I 'block' them into the model drawing and use different scale factors for the views in paperspace. There may be a proper way to do it... not aware of it. Just what I've done over the decades.

Should have added that honouring layer types is also critical and inserting blocks on Layer 0 is also important.

I usually have my borders and titleblocks as separate blocks with the titleblocks having attributes and insert these into paperspace; for a large project the common 'attributes' are filled in prior to inserting the block so I don't have to add them to the paperspace drawings. I also name the tabs in paperspace with the actual drawing name, eg., 17304S01, 17304S02, etc.

Dik

My comments pretty much fall in line with dik and MikeHalloran. However, I am also a self taught AutoCAD Certified Professional (ACP) with no formal training apart from OTJ experience.

We draw all drawings in model space but non-scaled drawings (i.e., P&IDs, PFDs, Isometrics) are dimensioned and annotated in model space and all scaled drawings are dimensioned and annotated (i.e., plot plans, orthos, etc.) in paper space. We plot everything to ANSI D (22x34) which allows us to print a true half scale to ANSI B (11x17) for convenience of handling. The only exception to that is Isometrics which are plotted ANSI B.

All annotation and dimensioning are done in paper space. Text heights are 0.125 (1/8") for general text, notes, and annotations and 0.1875 (3/16") for titles, labeling, and equipment tagging. Dimensions are left in inches up to 2'-0". Any dimension >/= 2'-0" is shown in feet-inch notation.

Every component is assigned a layer when drawn and all layers are given a discipline designator prefix (i.e., C for civil, P for piping, etc.) for ease of locating in the layer manager.

We don't really have a set scale for the drawings as the type of drawing can vary the scale. However, you can view the link below for common engineering scales.

Hope this helps,

DGrayPPD

Typically use ANSI D, but, text is 5/64... some clients want 1/8". the smaller font is 'readable' when drawings are printed 11x17. I have a HP 350C D size plotter in the basement... my wife got upset and had me move it from the living room and due to difficulty, I hardly ever use it. Usually use ANSI D for drawing size... and plot to *.pdf which I can print on my laser printer...

Seems like everyone was 'self-taught'...

Dik

Go online for ACAD tutorials. From this forum you can not expect to learn ACAD correctly while it would take students several weeks to learn it correctly. I could teach you all the information that you are requesting but it would take several pages of instruction which is not the intent of this forum.

The resource provided by DIK is pretty a similar format that I used when I taught ACAD back about 17 years ago. It is a good program although it does lack a few features. Use it.

Hi Folks,
In continuation to this,i would like to clarify few points on units. When i start a drawing in metres (1 unit = 1 metres),what are the things I should consider when i take it to a print on an A3 paper which is in mm. Does it cause any problems? Need some light on this.

It shouldn't... draw your model space in units = m. Set your sheet and title block in paper space as full size in mm. Set your viewports and set the model space scale to suit... it's very easy and fast. Hopefully you've gone through a couple of tutorials on paperspace. There was one tutorial I encountered that was excellent, and, I cannot locate it. Good

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back