Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query_modeling soft contact in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinni1

Civil/Environmental
Sep 27, 2021
IE
Hello,

I am simulating a compression test of a cold-formed steel column connected to a small length of U sections at both ends with self-tapping screws. In the post-buckling analysis, I have defined contact conditions between the U section web and the top nodes of the column sections. Initially, I defined normal behavior as hard contact. Now, I want to model a soft contact condition (contact between the column and the U section) to check if that is in better agreement with the test results.
I am initially trying a linear pressure overclosure relationship, where we need to define the contact stiffness, k.
I have been initially trying the k value as some fraction of the material's modulus of elasticity.

My questions are:
1. Is there any better way to predict the k value? If yes, could you please advise?
2. If I want to try the exponential relationship, how do I predict the C_0 (distance at zero pressure) and P_0 (pressure at zero distance value?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are some general tips regarding k (basically, a multiple of Young’s modulus of the underlying material, as you said) but it’s really case dependent and you should test different values and see how the results change. Especially take a closer look at penetrations - those will let you determine whether the solution is acceptable or not.

Thanks, I am doing a sensitivity study with k values, as you have advised.
Could you have some idea of the k value from contact pressure?
It would be great if you could provide some direction around this.

Changes in contact stiffness may influence contact pressure distribution so you should check if its more uniform. Apart from that, it’s mostly about penetrations and convergence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back