Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quest Earthwork and Estimator software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagrid

Civil/Environmental
Oct 26, 2006
US
I have been considering purchasing Quest Earthwork, Estimator, and Trenchwork. I am interested in getting feedback from anyone who is familiar with these products, specifically, how Quest stacks up against Agtek, Paydirt, and Timberline. I have used these three for twelve years, thus making them the benchmark for my comparison. Anyone have any thoughts on Quest?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used Quest,Paydirt and Agtek. In my mind there is no equal to Agtek. The software is more intuitive and much more user friendly than the others you mentioned.

I have used EarthWorks Pro for a couple of years and is a clever program as it does all of the hard work behind the scenes. I have just trialled Carlson's takeoff and although intregrated with autocad it just baffles you with loads of customisation and fails to do what you need. For example: it does not automatically extrapolate design levels to the levels of the ground outsite the boundary. The only drawback is you need autocad lite if you get drawings on cad so that you clean them (which is what Carlson is good at) and you have to trace subgrade areas on the screen or through a digitiser over CAD file imports.

Thanks for the replies. I also think Agtek is the best out there. It has been difficult to find anyone wanting to sell a used version. At this time I cannot justify the purchase of the newest version. There are also issues with purchasing a used Sitework 98 version where you have to be careful with the color of the button in the dongle as it may die at anytime and then there I would be having to invest another few thousand $$ to transfer the license in hopes of getting the dongle updated.

I wish I could make a comment on Agtek, but being a poor cousin in England over the water, they will not let us have it over here to trial or even purchase! Obviously a company that can be choosey who (which tribes) they deal with as they can afford to do so. Must be a winning, successful company and I guess that is good evidence it is a good product, and being that good probably has an eye watering price attached to it. The $4,500 Trakware Earthworks Pro has now paid back but I just wished it had some of those CAD tools Carlson, I dare say others like Agtek have. I'll shut-up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back