Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question About CNC Software/Hardware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasan

Computer
Aug 21, 2006
CA
I am very new to this so I apologize if I come off ignorant in this area, please bear with me. My company has a HL-90 Tracing System, that is part of a Koike Aronson IK 1200J Cantilever Coordinate Drive Optical Trace Cutting Machine. We want to get CNC set up as everything is manual right now. I've talked with the company that manufactures the HL-90 and they want us to send the unit in for their techs to set it up and it will be approximately $10000 to get it set up.

My questions are:
1. Is that a fair or accurate price?
2. Is a specific companies hardware proprietary to their software and whatever else needs to be done?
3. Is this something our company could do ourselves and cut the price dramatically?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My questions are:
1. Is that a fair or accurate price?
Get quotes from competitors. Ask around. Ask if you can visit some other companies who are already running the machines (which is always a good idea anyway) - when you get there ask them how much they paid.

2. Is a specific companies hardware proprietary to their software and whatever else needs to be done?
Usually not. Some companies have their own proprietary language (Mazak for example) but they are usually always compatible with the more common languages. Most machine tool companies will give you a choice of controls. Some machines are just built on standard PC operating systems. Ask the sales guy!

3. Is this something our company could do ourselves and cut the price dramatically?
If you're a big company you can bargain..I usually dangle the carrot of repeat business in front of them. 'Well, we're buying two machines at the moment, but if they perform we'll be loonking to buy 10 more...' Bluff - don't be afraid to say 'too much' and walk away. You can always 'change your mind' if they don't come down. Usually the salesman will blink first. Think of it as spending your own personal money, and you'll get a lot more value!

Excessive accuaracy is a sign of poor breeding. -Socrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back