Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question about COIN sprinklers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinklerDesigner2

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2006
US
I have a concealed space made up of 2"x8" solid wood joists @ 16" oc.

We have approximately 2'-0" between the bottom of the solid wood joist and 2x4 accoustical ceiling.

I am planning to use sch. 10 steel pipe with Viking VK950 COIN sprinklers spaced a maximum of 14'-0" Deflectors would be 1 1/2" to 2" below bottom of joists.

Easy enough but in the ceiling space we have a number large number of 18" wide by 8" deep duct work spaced less than 4'-0" apart. Some ducts appear to be spaced but 1'-4" apart picture 9 ducts in a space 35'-0" wide.

The general contractor wants to place his ducts direcly below the solid wood joist which, if I understand it correctly, would create a nightmare.

Am I correct in saying if the HVAC people place the top of the duct six inches below the bottom of the wood joists the duct could actually be ignored as the spray from the COIN sprinkler would cover the tops of the ducts?
Lowering_Duct_yfijro.jpg

Here is a cross section
ForEngineeringTips_gasvex.jpg

I know we have to have some clearance between the top of duct and underside of joist but what would be the minimum?

If we have to have COIN sprinklers in a space exceeding 6" I have to thing 6" between the top of the duct and bottom of the joist would be exactly like having a space exceeding 6".

So far I have looked all over and can't find anything that addresses this issue.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back