Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

question about design basis

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfmech

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2007
IN
A contractor is hired for the creation of a chemical plant by owner though engineering, procurement and construction project (EPC) mode of project delivery. Is the design basis the first document issued?

Does each discipline issue a design basis? Is there a overall design basis?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hello, I think i could not perfectly understand your question. if you are asking about the design baseline, then i would suggest (as in the defence projects) to go with the waterfall approach..

that means, the first step is the Conceptual baseline (can be the contract itself, or an approved project requirements documents),
second is the preliminary design (layouts, interfaces), then comes detail design.

so, in some respect, the first document issued Could be a baseline in a sense, if it is defining the *concept*, *scope* and *requirements* of the project.

having re-read your question, i probably missed the question by thousand miles. :)

In General Design basis is a single document, however each discipline may produce their content and integrate as a single document. If each discipline prepares their own document, the interfaces shall be clearly identified and all the conflicts shall be resloved

Your first document for anything engineering related should be a specification document, that describes the measurable performance and functional requirements that are used to sell off the final product. Only after concurrence with the customer that the system requirements are understood and agreed upon do documents related to how to meet the requirements get created. That's my universe.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back