Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about European numbering of 3 phase motors.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravensfan

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2008
US
Is there any sort of standardization for the numbering of metric motors? For example, in the U.S. leads are numbered 1-9, for a dual voltage Y connected motor. Low voltage connection would be 1-7, 2-8, 3-9, to line and 4-5-6 tied together... What I am interested in knowing is if there is a standard between U.S. numbers that I can use to cross with European numbering systems... U, V, W, X, Y, Z.

Especially when dealing with Star/Delta connections after rewinding...

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't checked everything for accuracy but this seems fairly good from a cursory glance.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Hello Ravensfan,

The european motors are manufactured with IEC 34-1 and americans with NEMA MG-1 .

The old IEC 34-1 was use the U-V-W-X-Y-Z Labelling but today is actualized: U1-V1-W1- U2-V2-W2, if the american motors only have 6 wires then you can Do some comparision between the two motors:

U1 =1 , V1= 2, W1 = 3, U2= 4, V2=5, W2= 6.

Regards

Carlos

Thanks for the responses on this. we have recently had to contend with this issue at the shop and nobody new the answer, we had to send a guy out to hook this motor up for the customer--where if would have had this info he could have taken care of it himself. Appreciate it!!

IEC motors typically have all leads brought out.
NEMA motors typically have one or more "buried" connections.
IEC commonly has 3 windings that are connected either in delta or star for a voltage ratio of 1.73:1
An example, delta for 220 volts, star for 380 volts.
NEMA commonly has six windings that are connected in parallel for low voltage and in series for high voltage for a voltage ratio of 2:1
NEMA star connected, 9 lead motors have a buried star point connection and so cannot be reconnected in delta.
Older NEMA delta connected motors have 3 buried delta corner connections and cannot be reconnected in star.
A twelve lead motor would be usable with either connection scheme. That is series parallel and/or star delta.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back