Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about friction coefficient in SW/Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmon2

Materials
Feb 1, 2008
US
Hi Experts,

Basically I am running a assembly simulation with 4 components
by using SW/Simulation Static. I have several contact sets beside
global contact. I have set the friction coefficient to be 0.35 for all contact sets because it is steel/steel contact with lubrication. System is fully constrainted and simulation is running smooth.

Problem is when I use "list reaction/contact..." in the result
folder to take a closer look at those contact sets. I found for
two contact sets the ratio between friction force and normal force
to be 0.04X and 0.09X, respectively. Why? Shouldn't they to be roughly 0.35? It is a big deal for us, because a part supposed to be self-locking but it is not right now because of lower friction coefficient. Thanks a lot in advance for everyone's comment.

I am using 2011 Solidworks with simulation premium (highest level). Again it is a static study, the most basic one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The friction force will equate to the imposed loads in that direction, and nothing to do with the reaction force. F=0.35xR is the point that the joint slips so that condition imposes a limit on the ration of frction to reaction force.

Tara

I don't understand your problem. What does a transverse reaction being less that what the coefficient of friction times normal force mean? You are running a static analysis when you should be running a non-linear analysis. And, whether you have friction or the part is fixed, if there is nothing pushing transversely you won't see a transverse force.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Thanks for your input, I got it straightened out. I just got deeper understanding about simulation now :D

Here is extremely simple example and a brain teaser for everyone:

|
|
-------
| |
| |
-------------------

Imagine the above diagram is a block sitting on a flat surface, the friction coefficent is 0.35. Also the block is in contact with a vertical surface on left side surface. There is a force acting on the top surface of block at 10lbf and a horizontal force acting on the right side surface of block at 2lbf. What are reaction force and friction force, respectively? :D

When I said reaction force, I meant between block and left support.
When I said friction force, I meant between block and bottom flat surface.

The 2lbf force is applied on left side surface of block and pushing the block against the left side surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back