Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about torque calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliveros

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2003
CL
Hi group,

i need to select a motor to drive the sistem shown in the next figure
rueda_y_eje_motor.JPG

1) it is only a part, not all the sistem. it run into a 200 mm diameter pvc tube, under 25 m of sea water. how can i determine the required torque?, and power?, i need it runs at 100 RPM. i don´t know the friction coeficient.

it rotate in the axis of the blue gear, and the figure sistem is displaced in the axial.

i home somebody can help me...

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The unknown variables are too great to determine.

The wheels turn against what resistance? That will give an idea of the work done by the system

The wheels are solid, neumatic, soft, hard? that influences the power absorved by them.

Do the wheels have another reduction besides the around 2:1 of the shown gears? Thats to determine the size of the reduction gears.

Are the wheels carrying weight on them, if so, how much?

Maybe with that data we will be able to help.

SACEM1

The wheels turn against what resistance?

( i'dont know the resistance, but if it can help, it run into a pvc tube, it is under sea water, and is expected to find mud and seaweeds, i dont know the friction coeficients)

The wheels are solid, neumatic, soft, hard? that influences the power absorved by them.

(the wheels are made of ruber, they are used to model planes)

Do the wheels have another reduction besides the around 2:1 of the shown gears? Thats to determine the size of the reduction gears.

(no)
Are the wheels carrying weight on them, if so, how much?
yes, are 4 pounds

Still to many unknown parameters, but let's try to find a solution.

The sistem can get tangled in seaweeds or trash or whatever but we can say that we have other constraints that are limiting our options:

1) Motor size: we have to find what is the biggest possible motor that can run inside a 200 mm tube, be watertight and able to run at that pressure (25 m water aprox 2.5 bar around 35 psi)

2) Find the speed reducer that will handle the power that the motor gives (input) and produces a final speed of 100 rpm (to me an output of around 200 rpm's gross guess)

3) With that data you will be suppliying the most power you will be able to fit into the size limits you have

4) Pray that the power availiable is enough to turn the damned thing against all possible obstacles.

Thats a start look it from that point of view and you may find an answer, the other way around, I would not know how to start the guess work.

Good luck

SACEM1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back