Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about window A/C units

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricckk

Automotive
May 8, 2006
US
Hello All,
I have a somewhat weird question. I'm not even sure if i'm in the proper forum but here it goes. I am replacing a in wall air conditioner for my landlord. It is a 300 square foot bedroom. I would like to put a 8kbtu unit in . The size of the opening currently is 23 3/4" x 15 1/8". ( which if I have to I will fit a different size unit) The old unit is running 110vac. It would be to difficult to up the voltage to 220vac. Some time ago I was researching online about this same subject. I remember seeing a government website for the consumer ( can't remember if it was a federal agency or a state agency ) about recommended energy star a/c units and it had a list of them. Starting with the best to the not so best. I think that particular website was most likely truly non-biased. If anyone has any information about this website or can suggest another non - biased website that would be great! This website was very concise and detailed and had specifications on all the units they recommended. For comparisons. I knew I should have bookmarked it! Or if anyone has an idea of which brand is better. I have been researching the Fridgidare brand . They seem to be a decent, easy to get parts for brand. Please keep in mind it does not have to be the best unit produced but not the worst either. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks guys!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

8 kBTU seems to me to be a bit of an overkill, unless the A/C is cooling more than the bedroom, or you're located in Death Valley. But, that depends on whether you're talking to a A/C salesman or someone else. The typical salesman ROT is 12000BTU/500 sq.ft., which is close to what you've stipulated, but 12000BTU/700BTU would nearly cut that in half. The difference will be how often the A/C cycles. The higher BTU system will cycle on to off quickly, so much of its operating cycle will be in recooling itself, while a lower BTU system will spend more time actually cooling. Theoretically, that's more energy efficient.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

oversizing not only cost senergy and wear, it also limits dehumdification. whne your unit is too large, it makes it nice cold and humid :)

This could be another topic in the politics forum... most people in US due to an unregulated "free market" have difficulty distinguishing biased vs. unbiased. People in completely government sponsored markets suffer the same problem because facts are what the government provides. Consumerreports.org used to be a trusted source of such things, but I've come to believe that there are no true unbiased sources anymore because any entity that starts with a great, society-improving philosophy eventually needs to pay their employees. Cash runs out when you operate for the greater good alone...

CashBean1: not sure how this relates to AC, but you have a point. That is why you always need to question every piece of information and use your own brain. but this is the inconvenient part, repeating someone else's opinion is so much easier...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back