Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question for Infolytica MagNet users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

charcinders

Electrical
Jun 22, 2007
GB
I have downloaded the trial version of this excellent software, and have been having fun designing an electromagnetic actuator. I want to simulate a static DC current flowing in the coil. Using a simple ACDC current source the parameters are magnitude (in Amps rms) and phase (in degrees). The program's help files are very vague about how these relate to the modelling process. If I define magnitude = 0.2A, does it simulate a DC current of 0.2A, or the peak current of a sinusoidal waveform with an rms current of 0.2A, which would be 0.2828A, or something else?
Are there any experienced MagNet users who can answer this, or at least take an educated guess?

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I only rarely work with AC. So seldom that I had to look. I use 'stranded', 'X turns', 'ACDC', 'X A rms' and '0 deg' for DC coils. It works.

To answer your question. It is DC straight no conversion.

The 2D package is really powerful. We used it for many years. With a little creativity you can go pretty far with it. Of course having 3D reduces the effort.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back