Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question for those familiar with PU seat design

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcfellow

Marine/Ocean
Mar 1, 2021
CA
Hi, I hope I have the right sub forum for this.

I'm hoping to gain some insight from those with experience designing/testing polyurethane seats as I am unable to find an answer to this questions. For a simple 'garden tractor' type of seat (molded PU cushion and vinyl cover)and assuming the same composition for foam and vinyl cover, there are two approaches to manufacturing the cover and cushion I'd like to compare: "Pour in Place" vs making the cushion and cover separate. Is one method better than the other for strength/durability?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Back in the early 2000's when those hot rod TV shows were popular, I recall them universally using PU foam blocks and shaving them in to rough dimensions to make the seats. They would bond together different densities for bolsters and such. The cover determined the final shape.

OEM stuff is always moulded and the cover installed later.

For a garden tractor. Separate is likely better for durability IF you make a very durable cover and have decent foam under it. Together seems to be the most common way it's done. I can't recall ever seeing a garden tractor where the cover was separate from the foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back