Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question? I need to install I Beams to suport 52800 lbs Please read 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynotime

Industrial
Feb 23, 2003
US
Hello I am putting up a Three sided Building that will require a total load of 53000 lbs or 40 lbs per Sq FT. The Building is 22 x 60 Feet. I would like to use the I beams to suport a flat Roof. on the I beams I will use 2X8X15' and then toped with 3/4 " ply wood What size I beams will I need If you have a phone # I will gladly call you or please contact me at dynotime@micro-net.com or
203-758-3225 Thanks for you help I wish to have a15 foot spacing or 4 I beams
one side will rest on Solid Block and the other side will be on Wood 2x6 Construction 10 foot high. Thanks Greg Ploski

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greg,
No one should try to design a building over the internet. You need to hire a structural engineer. He needs to know where the building is, what are the local building codes, what are the total expected loads, what seismic area is the building in, etc., etc., etc.

Hello I was asking for load of a Beam not someone to design the Building
I am sure there is some one the know how much load a Beam will handle that is all I am asking thanks

I agree with PEinc here. A building is a complete system, not just a beam here and a column there. In your case, the beams could carry axial loads or even resisting moments given the column framing, especially when you factor in lateral loads. But as you have requested I have analyzed the following for you....use at your own risk and consider the services of a structural engineer before you build.

Beam Span: 22'
Tributary Area per Beam: 15'
Total Load:40psf

w=600 PLF

Results:
W14x26 is the lightest beam that will work in your 'gravity load only' example. This beam has an ubraced length of Lc=5.3 ft. It must be braced to meet the noted span. The deflection at mid span is 0.46", critical is 0.55" for l/480. Reactions on each end are 6886#. USE WITH CAUTION, there are other variables that can come into play here which cannot be accounted for over a casual thread across the internet.

This result came from Beam Check which is good for gravity load analysis and preliminary sizing, but again there is a lot more than meets the eye here.

Consider changing your spacing and use somehing smaller like LVLs. The outsided walls can support load also, therby giving you 12' bays (4 beams and two walls=5 bays). I don't have the room to discuss the unbraced length, you will need a copy of the AISC to aid you in that area.

FYI the 2x8s are really pushing it at the 15' span between beams. Not to mention the flat roof raises snow and rain load issues. The connections to the wall must be factored into also (way too much to cover here), this is where it gets back to my 'complete system' statement.

Best of luck and please consider the services of a structural engineer. If encountered with it, I wouldn't try industrial engineering, I would refer it to someone who specializes in it like yourself.

I would agree the 2x8's are about at their limit with 15'. southern pine span tables (SPC) show 2x8 rafters at 12" o.c. with 40 PSF snow load and 20 PSF dead load will span 15'-3" max if properly braced - "the compression edge of the member shall be held in line for its entire length to prevent lateral displacement, and ends at points of bearing shall be held in position to prevent rotation" NDS-4.4.1c

I'd also agree that you ought to have some one locally look over the design.
Peter von Buelow
Univ. of Mich. - TCAUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back