Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question in the evaporation of water

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavoh3d

Specifier/Regulator
Oct 30, 2011
EG
Suppose that I have a 1 m3 of air humidity ratio 20%, and put this amount of air with a small amount of water at a temperature of 30, of course, part of the water will evaporate, my question is: Is the size of the air will increase? Or is the air pressure will increase? Although it will increase the rate of increase
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Think about it as a closed box of 1 m3 initially including the water (not evaporated)

You could find a density for each phase, but also an average density for the box not taking the two phases into account.

Now if all the water evaporates (assuming that the temperature is kept consatnt) will the average density change then? No, also the no. of moles in the entive volume is constant, and therefore the pressure will nto change considering PV=zVnRT

I think the change in Z is so small that it will not matter.

Best regard

Morten

Thanks to all,
@MortenA: I think so, the pressure doesn't increase
@LostHippie & : I means .30 degrees Celsius
@IRstuff: Suppose that the air box in 30 degrees Celsius also

Thanks a lot

Seems to me that if you are considering the gaseous mixture of Air and water vapor, and assuming that the temperature remains constant, with an RH that low you will certainly get evaporation, which in the case of the aforementioned system would act as a mass flow into the system, in the form of water vapor. To a very small extent this will increase the pressure of the vapor mixture (more molecules/unit volume @ the same temperature = more molecules impacting the container aka the water vapor will add a partial pressure to the system.

Water will evaporate until the liquid water is all gone, or the partial pressure of the water vapor reaches the saturation pressure for water at 30C.

From there the mixture will obey Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back