Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on bolting on large hole size 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt114

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2010
AU
Hello, I need to install this piece of equipment (about 11kg) on a round face with 4 bolt holes (diameter 25 mm, diagonal distance between hole = 200mm). The equipment I have come with 4 off 15 mm holes, same diagonal distance 200mm. How do I bolt the two together given the large different hole sizes? Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

washers as suggested by Jboggs would do it.

Small thing to fuss is the unsupported washer (over the larger hole). Maybe make your own washer from 0.125" thk plate, and over size.

bigger thing (maybe) to fuss is the dishing of the washers (over the larger hole) as you tighten the screw. So you can help this by filling the space with a "spacer".
If you want to go to town over it, make the spacer slightly oversize and freeze fit into the hole, then drill the hole you need.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

you can bush, but you have to make sure that the nut can transfer load to the surrounding structure (and is not sitting (only) on the bush (so over-sized washers).

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

What about taper head machine screws? I've checked and a M14 taper machine screw's head has an outer diameter of 27mm. If you put the taper head on the 25mm hole side there might be enough bite for it to hold. It could end up looking weird though so I won't blame you if you don't want to go with this option. Another option is using a washer with a normal size bolt. If you want to you can look into fender washers, they tend to be a bit bigger in outer diameter than normal flat washers. A normal M14 washer has a outer diameter of 28mm (as far as I can tell). A M14 fender washer has an outer diameter that is way bigger than that.

"Small" detail like what size fasteners you intend to use to secure the PoE have not been mentioned.
Similarly The loads the mounting screws are likely to encounter also have been given no thought, based on the OP.

Based on few words and no pictures // I think // the largest fastener that can be used off the shelf is M14.

If using an M14 Hex Head cap screw, the corners of the hex could drop right in the 25 mm hole. Even more important, the face on the underside of the screw head is likely to be about 22 mm Ø.
An M14 SHCS hed is about 21 mm Ø.
As suggested by others, this will relentlessly try to "cone" any washer used.
Similar to 00:20 here -

My hunch is you will need .25" thick set up washers or an even taller stack of hardened steel washers to permit the screw heads to clamp properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back