Question on high flashing spring source

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLPipeEngineer

Civil/Environmental
Jul 21, 2011
US
Hi,

We have a high flashing spring source that is under the influence of surface water. The turbidity is usually 1 to 5 NTU. However, it can flash readily during rain events to 100 to 150 NTUs. We were thinking about utilizing a Superpulsator sludge blanket type clarifier upstream of conventional filters. I thought that these would give some flexibility for treatment during periods of high turbidity. They would provide some margin for error when the turbidity spikes perhaps during the middle of the night.

However, I have some salesperson telling me that the only way to go is plate settlers with a multi-stage flocculator upstream. Does anyone have any advice regarding this application?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Each design has its its advantanges and disadvantages. Be aware though that a Superpulsator is a proprietary design and that may lock you into a particular supplier.My personal opinion is that as a general rule a sludge blanket type will have difficulty forming a suitable blanket in the low turbidity conditions, but there are some design options to increase performance. But both designs will require some careful design to give adeaquate performance
Neiher will give you suitable performance if the turbidity spike is significant and prolonged.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Agree that the clarifier will not work well with low turbidity.

What you are trying to do will be difficult because the coagulants will have to be adjusted as the water quality changes.

You don't mention flow rate or water quality. Is there any chance that you can add an equalization tank of some sort or fix the well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back