Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question on mounding analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsli001

Civil/Environmental
Mar 1, 2008
HK
Hi guys:

My state just add new regulation on stormwater regulation. It stated that any type of exfiltration system(detention pond, subsurface water storage system..etc) design, if the system is less than 4 feet above teh seasonal high groundwater, a mounding anaylsis need to be provided. A Hydrologist is arguing the mounding anaylsis is only for acquifer. So, is not necessary to do such analysis. I was wondering can this Hydrologist argurement can stand againt state regulation? If not, is there any argurement can argure that there is no need to such analysis.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to german jurisdictions ex-(I would prefer to say in-, but I'm not a native speaker) it is neccesarry to keep a distance between the bed of the ex- (in-) filtrations and the maximum groundwater level of minimum 1 m (approx. 3 1/3 ft.) to prevent any possible groundwater contamination with certainty. It does not matter wether the groundwater level encountered is the actual aquifier or ponded water. What is a mounding analysis?

I doubt that the regulators will buy your hydrologists arguments, they usualy don't see the difference between any near surface perched conditions and any deeper aquifers. In my experience they treat it all the same, thus the regulation, especially if the water is that shallow.

The only arguments against needing such analysis are that you are assuming that the amount of water being infiltrated is only going to occur intermitently and therefore will have plenty of time to dissipate any buildup in the mounding effect before the next event. That would probobly only work in parts of the country with very infrequent precipitation. Otherwise you will need to assume that the mounding will occur. By the way 4 feet is very shallow and you may have other problems to deel with, be careful that your systems will work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back