Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question on reinstalling SW after crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonsgsp

Mechanical
May 31, 2005
US
Hi All,

Last week I had a severe computer crash that ended with windows creating a new user file for me. I have been using SW 2009 since January and still had 2008 installed on my machine. I have removed this but it left information for 2009 in my original user name. Whenever IT loads SW they always install it as ISO and not ANSI, which is the format we use here. I figured I would uninstall 2009 and reinstall it in the ANSI configuration but that did not work, there were files from 2008 that remained leaving me with a mess of files for SW in 3 different user folders and the default stayed as ISO.

After uninstalling 2009 should I have gone into windows explorer and deleted the file folders that the uninstall did not remove? Then reinstall solidworks in ANSI so all the files would be in one user folder? Each time I open the drawing template it comes in in ISO (first angle) the reinstall did not prompt me if I wanted iso or ansi.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just create a drawing template.
Open a new drawing, make the changes to the options and sheet format that you want and save it as a template. After that, with the template still open, go to File->Save Sheet Format and save the format.
That being said, whenever you do a clean install, you want to remove any folders the program has put on your C drive (you'll need to do a search, including hidden files) as well as clean the registry.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
CAD Administrator, Ultimate Survival Technologies
My Blog

Thanks

I have tried that before, and just tried it again. The Part and Assembly templates save those and all other changes but the drawing template does not. I had made a few other changes to the standard notes in the drawing format and it had saved those changes in the new template, just not the changes from first to third angle and units to decimal. It justs reverts back to first angle with the units as metric.

Will probably do another uninstall, manually delete all other SW folders in the 3 windows users as you have suggested and reinstall again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back