Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question regarding poles on neodymic ring magnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janeriksen

Industrial
Jan 15, 2011
NO
Will it be possible to find some of these with the poles inside and outside the rings instead of the flat sides of the rings?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is called radial magnetization.
It is usually less efficient than a std magnet with pole pieces.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

much less efficient either for bonded or sintered, either isotropic or anisotropic Neo ring magnets, a fixture is hard to apply a high field to saturate such magnets. It is very common though to make Alnico solid one-piece ring magnets with either multiple poles, or radial oriented, or even with one inside pole, one outside pole, you name it.

I thought about a ring with one inside pole and one outside. I haven´t found any yet so I need to get a link to a site that offer these for sale.

Based on your latest post, you are looking for a full radially oriented NdFeB magnet. Very few suppliers keep these as standard items. If you only need a few, you will find it difficult to obtain. If you are looking for thousands, then a supplier might be willing to develop a tool

Janeriksen,
Maybe you need to step back and look at your proposed magnet and its pole pieces and see how you could do this with an axially oriented magnet and different pole pieces.
This geometry is difficult in RE materials (where powder must be oriented in the compaction tooling) and usually results in much lower properties.
In materials that develop orientation in heat treatment such as Alnico you can create a wide range of orientations (such as 6 pole rings).

I agree with what EdStainless wrote. I was just wanted to add that Bonded NdFeB is a popular option for radial magnetization.

janeeriksen: What grade of Neodymium Iron Boron do you need for your application?

I should have added that we used to build these out of magnet segments in RE materials.
The pieces were ground and epoxied together, not as mechanically strong as a single piece, but full magnetic properties.

The grade of Neodymium Iron Boron is not so important. It just has to be one outside and one inside pole, but I´ve understood now that this will be very hard to obtain and therefore also very expensive, so maybe I should give this up and instead try to glue smaller disc magnets together inside a thin metal ring and create one that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back