Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question regarding response acceleration vs excitation acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow1999a

Structural
Jul 29, 2010
US
Based on the EOM, m*x_tt+c*x_t+k*x=f(t), if f(t) =m*a_g where the excitation acceleration a_g is the base/ground acceleration like earthquake loading, my understanding is that since the direction/sign of x and x_tt are unknown, the x_tt may be smaller/greater than a_g if x has the same/different direction/sign with x_tt.

I wanted to get a general idea of the relationships between x_tt and a_g.

Or can we say the response acceleration x_tt should MOSTLY smaller than a_g since k*x is positive and c*x is small/negligible. This is simple and straigthforward for a sdof system but I think the rule should be applicable to a mdof strucutre in which the a_g is allplied to all applicable dofs.

I observed x_tt > a_g for some dofs when I performed a time-history transient analysis for a building under earthquae loading (accelertion applied to all applicable dofs in the model). Can anybody discuss with me a little on what is in your mind? Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No it is very common for the response at a point on the structure to exceed that of the excitation point, in general. There is no hard and fast rule, but consider the vibration of the top deck of a skyscraper if you wiggle the foundation at the first resonant frequency of the tower.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back