Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffthehammer

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2005
GB
I am trying to devise a magnetic clamp/brake based on the same principles used in magnetic dial indicator bases (and as shown in wikipedia). The magnet would be approx 30mm diameter and 18/20mm across flats by approximately 45mm long. The steel/brass/steel block will be about 40mm square by 50mm deep.
I would envisage using a ferrite magnet and need to clamp the brake shoes to the block.
Questions.
1. If the magnet is supported in (stainless steel) ball bearings, how do I calculate the torqure required to rotate the magnet in order to turn the brake on and off?
2. How do I calulate the clamping force?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no simple analytic equations to answer your questions. Trial & error is a possibility, but magnetic modeling with FEA can answer both of your questions.

There are a number of standard magnetic bases available from the catalog houses. Is there some feature or functionality that you need that isn't already available?

Unfortunately the standard bases don't cover what I am trying to do. When I work out how to do it I will post a diagram. It was the feasibility of the calculating the torque I was looking for as operating the clamp will be an automatic operation. It looks as if you have answered my question though, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back