Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions for people in DE, MD, and VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack454

Civil/Environmental
May 26, 2003
US
Not sure if this is the right place, but I could not really find a forum that covers such a great range of questions on what I do.

The family and I are planning a little trip down from northwest NJ to visit DE, MD and VA. It is a short trip (we are planning a longer vacation later in the year, so we must conserve are days off). The goal of the trip for me is to try and speak to someone (hopefully a planning board secretary or even better the Township Engineer) on how a typical site plan application process is conducted in their state (or County).

Here in NJ, each township has its own planning and zoning board, and even if an appplication is 100% in conformance with the ordinance, a public hearing is required and we usually get bashed around by the board/public, even on a conforming app. I have heard different stories that other states handle applications differently.

Do you guys have any recommendations on particular Townships or Counties to visit in any one of these states that may be helpful? We plan on driving down the east coast, stopping off at a couple of places for the kids (6 & 9) but I was hoping to at least speak to 1 person from each state to get a better feel. This state is really starting to take its toll on me.

Any advice/suggestions or even addresses of municipal buildings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many towns and cities in VA have a planning and zoning office. If not at the town level, you still have the county level to deal with. Most towns generally have a public hearing on new developments. Water quality is a big issue in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, and somewhat of an issue now in the rest of the state (rest = Roanoke & points west)-things are not as simple here as they used to be, or as they are perceived to be by folks from other parts of the country.

VA is still a great place to be. If you are interested in a simpler lifestyle & quality of life, you may want to get a bit away from the coast. Its beautiful there near the beaches, but the regs can be quite onerous.

Thanks for the response. So it sounds like VA has both township and county boards. Just like Jersey.

Are there still hearings on new projects that are 100% conforming to the ordinance?

Thanks again, I guess I will pick a town or two and see if I can locate the municipal building online prior to our trip in a few weeks.

I am not sure where you are planning to visit, but Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown have a lot to offer.

There is a lot going on with Jamestown 1607-2007, and historic Williamsburg has a lot going on with all the reenactments and restored/replica buildings. The topo is fairly flat, so its easy to get around on foot.

Great, thanks for the help. We plan on seeing Williamsburg, along with Richmond and a few towns west of Richmond. While we are down there we planned on looking at some real estate, but my main goal was to get a feel of the land development process in each of the states I mentioned.

The first adjustment I had to make when I moved to Virginia was the county/city relationship. There are independent cities throughout Virginia that are technically not part of any county. They have their own municipal codes, design standards, school systems, police, etc. and report directly to the state (Commonwealth - whatever). Everywhere else that is not in a "city" is under county jurisdiction.

If you are headed to Williamsburg area, you might want to contact the York County planning folks. They have also authored a reasonable "how to" guide for their site planning process ( Chesterfield County (near Richmond) also has a very helpful planning department. Let me know if you want contact information.

That is perfect, thanks for the heads up. I will look for similar sites for MD and DE.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Mack,
I remember the thread you started in December regarding the same topic (minus the travel plans).

1. I am curious...what is your goal? To find a place that has a process that is less stressful and move there? or is it to compare your misery with that of other jurisdictions? If it is the latter..to what end?

2. I won't rehash comments from the previous thread...just offer some resources for lower Delaware:

Sussex County:
minutes and agendas for public meetings of County Council, planning & zoning, and board of adjustment are available at:
one can listen to meetings live online. an archive of audio is found at:
(you may find some land discussions entertaining)
If you visit, you may find it more informative to actually go to a meeting vs. just speak with a secretary.

Kent County:
If you think public hearings are fun business, try a 9-month moratorium on applications for residential development (just passed).
Kent County planning website is:
You can view plans under review in Kent County here:

I appreciate the information. Yeah, we are finally getting this trip moving forward. We have thought of moving south of here for some time, mostly due to the increased density throughout NJ, along with the increased traffic, property taxes, etc. It is not only work related.

Before I make a large jump like moving to another state, as the only one in the household that is currently bringing in $$$, I would like to gain some knowledge on how my career would be in other areas. I do not know if things are the same, easier, more difficult, etc. My wife always says I overanalyze everything, but I would like to be a little more informed before I jump in with both feet.

Guys, I want to thank you again for your help. I checked out the links you posted and it was very helpful. I plan on stopping at each of the 2 counties mentioned for each state.

What I did notice on the plans submitted for the Kent County applications were that the plans were mostly just conceptual layout plans showing the overall subdivision and layout. There was 1 application that had a sheet of very rough proposed grades, but that was it.

Are fully engineered plans generally done after a hearing and then reviewed by the County's professionals, or is another public hearing required after the plans are fully engineered?

Here in NJ we do a full set of plans, soup to nuts right down to every single detail required to construct, and this is submitted to the board for site plan application.

In VA, we typically submit full site plan. In some counties in MD or DE, we have submmitted "sketch plans" that were basically 95% drawings by the time you did everything that was required.

Thanks. You guys have directed me in the right direction, just need to do a little more reading on the links posted above, but for the most part I got the idea now.

We are going down there in a month, I am really looking forward to it.

Mack,

The plans posted at Kent County Delaware web site are preliminary subdivision plans. For preliminary approval, the project goes to a Regional Planning Commission (RPC) meeting for approval, then to Kent Levy Court(like a County Council) for preliminary approval. If a project gets preliminary approval, it must then get approval from various agencies: DelDOT, Fire Marshal, Kent Conservation District (Sediment & Stormwater), Public Works, Planning & Zoning...those are the major ones. Once one has all agency approvals (full construction documents), one goes back to RPC then Kent Levy Court for final approval.

Sussex county's process is similar, except County Council is not invovled in regular subdivision approval process. Council approval is only required for rezoning or conditional use.

Mack,

I lived in Chester, VA, several years ago, and worked in the Richmond area. I think you will like it there.

I moved further west (again) because I have most of my relatives here and missed the mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back