Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

questions on oral board assesment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtkelly913

Civil/Environmental
Mar 28, 2014
US
Hello, just wondering if anyone had to sit through an oral board assessment for an entry level engineering position. I have to do this for a D.O.T. position and wanted to know what types of questions to expect. Any input is appreciated.

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I once interviewed with the 4th largest city in my home state for an engineering position. I think this was the first interview. I sat at one end of a very large table with I'm guessing 8 or 10 city employees around the table. I had about 5 or 6 years experience from field to office after undergrad. They basically played 20 questions with me taking turns asking me questions that I might know nothing, very little, or a lot about. I believe they were surveyors, inspectors, engineers, and maybe others. I basically just answered them honestly as I could. I got to do a second interview with 2 people being the manager at that time and one of his underlings. It seemed to go well but one of my questions for them was if they wore those ties on a daily basis and they answered that they did for public appearance. I can't remember too much after that because that wasn't for me.

So I would imagine you will probably get fairly thorough breadth of knowledge questions and maybe a more limited depth variety of questions to answer being that it is an entry level position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back