Questions regarding grades and access/kerb ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieHir

Civil/Environmental
Feb 5, 2024
AU
Hi all,

Just a few questions regarding the design of simple kerb ramps/pram ramps from a graduate engineer.

Note - No surveyor so I understand everything will only be 'relatively' accurate

-------------------------

1)
If I go on site and measure a grade of 8% for the first 900mm and 10% for the next 700mm, assuming my ramp will be 1200mm, do I just use the weighted average to assume the gradient that ~should~ be possible at 1200mm?

The kerb at the start of the ramp is already flat with the road.

2)
If the kerb was not flat with the road at the start of the ramp, assuming there was no surveyor, would you just assume that the gradient for a 1200mm ramp would be rise/run where the rise is the kerb height?

3)
Assuming the first 700mm was 13.5% and the next 600mm was 13.7%, yet the maximum grade for the ramp has to be 12.5%, assuming you were to have an access ramp at 12.5% without chasing levels, how do you work out what the lip would be (from finished access ramp to footpath) and how do you work out what you would have to grade that lip so that it ties into the footpath?

The kerb at the start of the ramp is already flat with the road.

Would you just do -

Difference = Total rise at 1300mm - Rise of kerb ramp at 1200mm
Then solve for the grade over 100mm?

-----------------------------------

Thank you, just trying to see whether I have the right idea or on the wrong track.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm having some trouble visualizing the situation you're describing. It would be very helpful if you could post a plan view of the site and and elevation/section of the ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back