Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Quick opening closure for PV 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degas

Petroleum
Sep 26, 2002
I´m trying to develop a QOC for one PV but I´have had problems to calculate it. So, I´m looking for rules, calculations, memos and other ways to make a good job. Somebody can help me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's an old article that we used one time for the lug forces & moments going into the shell. P.Seide, "On the Bending of Circular Cylindrical Shells by Equal & Equally Spaced End Radial Shear Forces & Moments," Trans. ASME, Jnl Applied Mech., March 1961, pp.117-126. Get equivalent uniform loadings, then use beam-on-elastic-foundation eq's from Roark. Kinda painful the first time through, but not bad if you put it into mathCAD.

Frankly speaking if I wanted to relieve the pressure in a vessel I would use a properly designed and certified relief valve, anything else seems like second best. Have inspected quick opening closures before and because of maintenace problems took 2 guys 1hour to open with 6ft poles

How does a relief valve allow you to relieve the pressure in a vessel unless you have a lifting lever or some other way to keep the valve open once the pressure reaches the valve's blowdown setting and it attempts to close?

The valves are used to relieve all internal pressure before opening is begun, & ensure the lid is fully shut before pressurization is started. [see UG-35.2] Sometimes a vent valve with a pin that rides on the valve stem screw is used. One time we used a ball valve with a disk with a quadrant removed that engaged a slot on a lug - that was for food service where a cleaning was required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back