Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick practical question about parrelel connected hydro motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanvanzuidam

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2010
NL

Hey guys
I have a quick practical question about connecting two hydromotors in a parellel circuit.
I need to power a winch-system with a hydraulic engine, but the torque needed to move the load is around : 8600 Nm.

Because of very limited space to instal the systeem and the goal to make the system weigh as few as possible, I`m trying to learn more about connecting two engines in a parralel circuit.
But I cannot find sufficient information about practically installing the two motors : Is it common to mechanically connect the two engines onto the same shaft? Or do you work with two not mechanically connected shafts?
And if its possible to connect the engines on the same shaft, do you place them behind each other on the same shaft next to the load or on each side of the shaft with the load in the middle?

Thanks in advance,
Information about usefull websites or books is also very welcome, I`m very happy to do the research myself but I`m kinda stuck at the moment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, it's possible to parallel hydraulic motors.
They >must< be mechanically connected.
Some designs of gear-type motors can be stacked on a common shaft.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Yes commonly done.
The motors must be linked mechanically on one shaft, or the lightest loaded motor will over speed its load while the heavily loaded motor stalls.

Putting two motors on one belt conveyor shaft, one each end, is common.

Two motors may be more total space, weight and dollars than one larger motor, but it can divide up the space requirement into two locations. A smaller motor might fit into a tighter space, say inside the belt drum. Also, smaller motors typically are much more available, cheaper, and have higher rpm ratings than a single large motor. Putting two different motor sizes on the same drive shaft gives a total displacement that might not be available in a single larger motor.

There are ways to vary or two speed the circuit by bypassing one motor or the other, but that is more than what you asked.

try hydraulicspneumatics.com. There are some ebook sections there with basic hydraulic knowledge, and the magazine also.

kcj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back