Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QUICK QUSTION ABOUT SMPS TRANSFORMERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycarpenter

Electrical
Aug 9, 2008
US
Hello all! I am pretty green in the area of designing high frequency power transformers for switch mode power supplies. I have a quick question, here it goes:

I need to wind a bobbin for an EE13 core.

The spec sheet for the bobbin that goes on the core does not specify the "bobbin winding area," but I have a textbook that says it should be somewhere around 0.1 square centimeters.

What exactly is the "bobbin winding area"? Is it the bobbin height, multiplied by twice the width of the bobbin available for winding wire (multiply by 2 for either side of the bobbin)? I have attached what I think makes sense about the "bobbin winding area" specification.

Im confused because if I did that, I get an area over 4 times what it should be. Could anyone please help me out? I greatly appreciate your time!

Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally it's the cross-sectional area available for the winding. You only count it once.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back